[Sunhelp] RE: Monitoring Telnet sessions

Will Lowe lowe at asel.udel.edu
Tue Jan 25 15:27:31 CST 2000

> grep for rlogin, telnet, finger, etc... in the /var/log/syslog file.
> this is were that information is logged.  I wrote some scripts at
> Boeing that do this as well as look at "last" and e-mails me a report
> on what activity has been taking place over the last week.

Really?  In my experience,  telnetd, rlogind (essentially anyhing that
uses PAM under Solaris 7) don't generate messages to syslog.  PAM will
generate an error if authentication is unsuccessful ...

                     					Will

|   harpo at udel.edu lowe at cis.udel.edu lowe at debian.org lowe at asel.udel.edu  |
|			http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/		         |
|    PGP Public Key:  http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/index.html#pgpkey    |