[Sunhelp] SS1000(E) vs CPUs

Bjrn Ramqvist brt at osk.sema.se
Fri Jan 21 09:59:03 CST 2000

Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> "Bjrn Ramqvist" wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone tried fitting SM50's on a SS1000E board?
>
> I don't know about them not being able to "keep up" that speed.  Rather,
> with SuperSPARC modules with SuperCACHE, the SuperCACHE has to run
> faster than the MBUS.  The SM51s have the SuperCACHE running at 50MHz,
> which forces the MBUS speed to be 40MHz when in the SS20.  The sM41s,
> run the SuperCACHE at something like 40.3 MHz, which allows the MBUS
> speed to run at 40MHz.

That's why my high-fly theory of fitting an SM50 (50MHz Mbus speed) onto
a SS1000E (50MHz Mbus) should, atleast in theory, work like a charm. :-)
I know SM41's and SM51's are supported on the SS1000 (not "E") though.

>  I suppose if you could crank up the oscilator on
> an sM51 a little bit, you might be able to convince it to run with the
> 50MHz bus speed, but I haven't tried it. (although it sounds like it
> might be fun, if I find a good place to pick up Mbus modules really
> cheap)

That would definitly be something. SM61's (and 81's especially) are
still quite expensive, so SM51's would be great to use this way.

	/Regards, Bjorn