[Sunhelp] Memory for Ultra 5s

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Fri Jan 21 02:11:49 CST 2000

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, Stephen Holmes wrote:

> I'd like to know how much memory can be installed into an Ultra 5.
> Sun say 512 Megs, other folks say 1 Gig.
> I'd be using clone memory for this.
>
> I'd like the answer to be 1 Gig, but don't want to go down that path unless I'm
> aware of any further restrictions.
> If you've tried this, could you please sumarise your experiences.

This is an Ultra 5:

rhydon:/home/users/james% uname -a
SunOS rhydon 5.7 Generic_106541-06 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10
rhydon:/home/users/james% /usr/sbin/prtconf |grep Mem
Memory size: 768 Megabytes

The Ultra 5 and 10 share the same motherboard, and both can take up to 1GB
max (4 256MB DIMMs).  The trick is that the Ultra 5 mounts the floppy
drive over the memory, and tall DIMMs (such as the Sun 256MB) will not
fit.

Several companies now make 256MB DIMMs that are low-profile enough to fit
in the Ultra 5 case, or as an alternative you can always remove the floppy
drive.  I do that on our Ultra 5 servers as a matter of course to make
accessing memory slots much easier.

I recommend MemoryX for low-profile 256MB DIMMs.  Make sure to match
speeds if you have memory in a system already (50ns with 50ns or 60ns with
60ns).  I think the part number you need is MX7039AL for 50ns.

BTW, I have a pair of 128MB Ultra 5/10 sticks if anyone wants them, either
cash or trade.

-James