[Sunhelp] SGI + Sun Monitor

Bjrn Ramqvist brt at osk.sema.se
Mon Jan 10 06:08:25 CST 2000

Bill Bradford wrote:

> There's a TWENTY-THREE inch version of the 6091?  egads.. I thought the
> 6091-19 was bad enough... I replaced my 6091 (which worked wonderfully
> with my  Ultra 5, with a HD15-5BNC cable) with a GDM20D10, and then replaced
> the GDM20D10 with a GDM20E20.  I *love* the 20E20, its the best monitor
> I"ve ever seen on a computer...  Not bad for a piece of equipment that was
> manufactured in '96.

Actually, I've seen one in real-life and used one just for a couple of
minutes, but it sure looks like a huge big lump of plastics, considering
the pretty thick frames IBM has around the tube itself. That's probably
the most annoying part of their monitors, IMO. :-)
(I need every millimeter available on my desk to stack even more papers
on it)

Personally, I love the 20E20 also. It's just so incredibly versatile.
Run everything on it, even a cranky PeeCee that loves to play with all
kinds of frequencies. I'd go for a SGI 20E21 also, since that's the
granite version. :-)
(I've even seen somewhat "OEM'ed" versions of 20E20, without any
Sun-logo anywhere on it)

One thing I do hate about the 20E20, is the fact that it's almost
impossible to dig up for a descent price, especially in Sweden. So, so
much for the fact that 20E20's are multi-sync capable, so does the price
for it crank up. That's why my 20D10 feels especially good, since my
tiny wallet allow it. :-)
(Heck, you can find 20D10's for free if you happen to look in the right
dumpster!)

Too bad the 5081's are so crappy.
The 6091-19 I have available isn't that clear picture on it...

	/Regards, Bjorn