[Sunhelp] SPARCstation 1+ serial/terminal problem and whats this?

Paul Khoury pkhoury3 at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 9 05:05:55 CST 2000

>	CTS KNIGHTS
>	1156-01
>	200.0 MHZ
>	8948-S307
>
>	Its on this wierd silver "chip" between two thin motorola chips
>near a jumper reading JMP4 if that means anything to anyone. I want to say
>its a serial card but...

Maybe it's a crystal?  That'd be a high frequency for one IMO, though.

>	With that in mind I have read that a sun will send output to
>Serial A if there is no framebuffer, mouse and keyboard pluged in so to be
>safe I yanked the "mystery card" hooked a null modem cable to the back of
>serial A into a pc and booted the sparc up.
>
>	The problem is nothing pops up, using hyperterminal, Tera Term,
>windows terminal or even a Wyse 50. I've tried varying terminal settings,
>no flow control, flow control. Even parity, no parity. Nothing even when
>having tera term send a break.

Hmmm...

How is the memory arranged on the machine?  The nice thing of having a 5c
keyboard is that the LEDs will tell you if the memory isn't good (like the SIMMs are
incorrectly put in, etc), etc.  I read this I believe from the SPARCstation LX manual,
which seems to apply with the SS2 I have as well (and shouldn't be much different from
the SS1/1+).

>	Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I've also got an active scsi
>terminator on the back and an ethernet loopback on the aui port incase
>it is trying to netboot. Thanks for any help.

See what configuring the SIMMS are in.  SPARCs seem to be weird about
how the memory is placed from what I've seen...