[Sunhelp] help on ident server..

Flynn, Harold M. III Flynnh at mont.disa.mil
Thu Feb 17 17:15:54 CST 2000

For identd?  no way, dude.

At the shop I used to run, I got a copy of pidentd, compiled, and installed
as root:other.  works fine to this day, and there's no security implications
involved with it that I know of.  A default build of it will install into
/usr/local/sbin.

As for an entry into /etc/inetd.conf, try this one:

ident   stream  tcp     wait    root    /usr/local/sbin/identd  identd -w
-t120

Works for me.  kmem is the kernel memory group.  I've seen it on a few other
*nix's (linux and bsd, I believe) but don't recall existing on solaris.

Hal the Pal