[Sunhelp] Other OS...

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Wed Feb 16 14:09:35 CST 2000

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Cristian Constantin wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Anyone on this list running smth. else than Solaris/SunOS on UltraSPARC
> 1 Sun Boxes?...
>
> I just want to know which are my choices...

Your only real choices are Solaris 2.x and Linux.  Net/OpenBSD is working
on support but it is not mature.  There are also several operating systems
designed for embedded applications that will run, but they would not be
useful for a typical desktop or server machine.

Linux runs but support for hardware is hit and miss.  Unless you have a
real reason to avoid it I would go with Solaris, the recent versions are
quite mature and fast.  An Ultra 1 would be very quick as long as it had a
reasonable amount of memory (64MB and up).

-James