[Sunhelp] deciphering sun hardware errors

Paul Khoury - Tech Support pkhoury3 at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 4 19:39:38 CST 2000

At 06:42 PM 2/4/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I have a Sparcstation2 which used to (a few months back) boot just fine.
>today I turned it on and got nothing, so I connected a terminal to the A
>serial port on the back via a null modem cable, and I'm getting this, than
>it hangs:
>
>*** 207 ***
>	PMAP = 00018000,Exp = 00000000, 0bs = 00001000
>

>1) does anybody know what this means?

Just a lucky guess, it's probably a memory error.

>2) does anybody know, in general, how to decipher the weird error messages
>sun hardware generates at times like this?  I once had a "Suspect Viking
>Module" error, and it took a while to figure out that the machine was
>telling me that processor was in trouble ...

You might check out the SPARCstation LX reference manual.
I noticed a few things, including the LED status lights
on the keyboard during bootup also applied to the SS2, as
well as some other things.

Try taking out memory, start out with as little as possible,
and add the rest to try and recreate the error.

Paul