[Sunhelp] Purchasing Sun Ultra 5 for learning/testing. -Need recommendation

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Tue Feb 29 17:05:50 CST 2000

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Kevin Fujinami wrote:

> what types of apps are you running on that Ultra 5 box?  are you running
> solaris 7 with workstation license or server?

Workstation.  There isn't a difference in the base OS, the server kit just
gives you a different license and some add-on software.

> I was told that if I allow users to access web or database services, I need
> the server license.

This is kind of a touchy area.  The old definition of a server was a
machine that exports more filesystems than it imports, but the new one is
more complicated.

On the other hand, certain exemptions are given for hobby or nonprofit
use.  IANAL so I suggest you read the fine print of the license
agreements, but see below.

> do you know if the Solaris 7 server licensed software offers more
> functionality?

Yes.  The server kit comes bundled with add-ons including Disksuite
(manages RAID arrays, does fs journaling, etc).

If you can wait a month you'll be able to get Solaris 8 bundled with
that machine.  Sun is finally returning to their earlier licensing style,
the OS will be free for all use on machines under 8 CPU's.  This could
save you quite a bit if you can wait.

-James