[Sunhelp] Virus protection in Solaris

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Wed Aug 23 02:24:11 CDT 2000

On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 11:43:01PM -0700, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> The only one that I've seen (and I'm not 100% sure about that) is from NAI,
> called NetShield for Unix.  I'm sure that there is a Linux version, and I
> believe that there is are Solaris and HP-UX versions as well.  The best
> place to look on the web is probably www.nai.com.  I'll look at my price
> lists tomorrow, but they're generally a bit NT oriented.  Later,
> 	Greg

NOOOOOOOO!

DOO NOT GO THERE.

I had to setup NetShield / VirusScan on a Solaris box at my last place of
employment.  Its a HORRIBLE hack/kludge of Firewall-1 and their virus
scanning software - it works, but it takes FOREVER to get working right.
I had to hand-edit a lot of "dont edit past this point" scripts to get
it working... Also, *only* works with Solaris 2.6.  Its also very slow
and requires a lot of disk space.

Once it was working, it was okay... but it was a bitch (took like two
weeks to get it working properly) to setup.  It does things like completely
re-do the box's routing-between-interfaces when it starts up, and if things
dont startup in EXACTLY the right order, nothing works....

basically what you do is setup a SPARC with two network interfaces
between your mail server and the rest of the world, and the SPARC box
intercepts (transparently) all traffic on port 25, scans attachments,
and then forwards it on to the normal mail server.  In normal operation,
all you really see is a couple of extra lines in the mail routing headers.

Documentation for the product is slim to none (they tell you how to install
it and how to admin it with their little GUI; I got more info out of the
README and INSTALL text files than I did out of the manual!)

There are a few alternatives to this (most using procmail, etc) on
Freshmeat, just do a search for "virus" and they should come up.

Bill

--
| Bill Bradford      |  www.sunhelp.org |