[Sunhelp] SunPCi board and audio

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Thu Aug 17 15:23:13 CDT 2000

On Thu, Aug 17, 2000 at 01:09:56PM -0700, patl at phoenix.volant.org wrote:
> On 17-Aug-00 at 11:15, Jonathan Eisch (jeisch at boku.net) wrote:
> > Bill Bradford wrote:
> > > This is a fresh install of win98, all updates (including DirectX 7.0a)
> > > installed; fresh installs of WinAmp and Windows Media Player 7... I'd
> > > think that WMP should be able to play the MP3s fine if nothing else..
> > I'm thinking that there may be a sampeling rate conversion that is
> > getting mixed up some place.  I don't know much about PCi boards, but
> > I'm guessing they interface with the sound device on the 'sun' side?
> Nope, the PCi board has it's own ES1869 audio chip with external connectors
> for Microphone, Line In, and Line Out.
> I somehow missed the original question.  From the quote above, I'm
> guessing some sort of problem playing MP3 files.  I've had no problem
> using WinAmp with headphones or my old cheap speakers.

Are you using the 1.2 or the 1.3EA software?  I pkgrm'ed 1.3EA and
reinstalled 1.2 last night, but now I get a "DISK BOOT ERROR" when
trying to startup the SunPCi software (even tho my disk files re
there, and fine....)

I may end up having to reinstall.

> (I am having some trouble with my new Yamaha USB speakers though - after
> a few minutes of continuous MP3 or RealAudio I completely loose audio
> output, even if I switch back to the ES1869.  I usually have to reboot
> to get it back.)

Using a powered USB hub?

> Is there some reason that xmms (http://www.xmms.org/) on the SPARC
> side isn't sufficient?

I like WinAmp better.  XMMS tends to crash my entire X session and
leave me back at dtlogin.

Bill

--
| Bill Bradford      |  www.sunhelp.org |