Ultra5 to Ultra10 (Re: [Sunhelp] Sun Ultra 5 models?)

Dan Jameyson jameyson at amist.org
Thu Aug 17 05:31:28 CDT 2000

Though I'm fairly happy with my Ultra5 the way it is, I'd still like to
come up with the most functional and economic way to get Ultra10
functionality. I'd love to have a Ultra5 tower that I could pump up with
(internal) scsi and Creator3d.

I'll assume the only differences between the U5 and U10 are case and PCI
configuration (which can be solved by the $60 part from Sun).

If the Ultra10 cases are difficult to get a hold of, what about
converting a PC tower case, or ordering a workable case from one of the
3rd party ultrasparc workstation companies? I've noticed that on the PC
cases, both the motherboard mounting panel and back panel are modular,
and could be removed and replaced or modified. I don't think it would be
that expensive to have small pieces of sheet metal machined to the
correct specifications.

Any thoughts on this one?

--
Dan Jameyson (jameyson at amist.org)                    www.amist.org
President and Chairman of the Board of Directors