[Sunhelp] Cheap SS4/5/10's?

Paul Khoury - Tech Support pkhoury2 at stevie.loop.com
Fri Aug 11 23:15:15 CDT 2000

At 10:56 PM 08/11/2000 -0500, you wrote:

>I wouldnt recommend SIMS for anything smaller than a ISP-level
>enterprise mail server.. for something small on a SS10, apache/qpopper/
>sendmail (or postfix or qmail) is just fine.

Is it really that bad?  Needs that much RAM?  Of course, I'd only use
Apache for webservering (because I assume Netscape's server takes lotsa
RAM, and it costs a lot too!).

>(heck, the first ISP I worked for, ionet.net,

ionet.net?  Heh heh, that's where the list for the OS/2 RC5 team resides.

 ran user shell + email +
>web pages + radius, etc, all off a single SS10 with a SM41 and 192mb
>RAM... this was with about 1500 users, with about 70 of them using the
>shell at any given time.. system response was GREAT...)

Damn, that's pretty good.  Earthlink was using a SS20,
with 4 95MHz HyperSPARC CPUs, and 512MB of RAM, and it crawled with barely 500
users!!!