[Sunhelp] Cheap SS4/5/10's?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Fri Aug 11 22:56:15 CDT 2000

On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 08:11:40PM -0700, Paul Khoury - Tech Support wrote:
> >I'd go for a cheap SS10, because its expandable (CPU-wise) and you can
> >load it up with 128mb of *cheap* 16mb DIMMs internally (which I got
> >for around $10-15 each a couple of years ago, they've got to be even
> >cheaper now..)
> Hmmm... I like that better - suppose I could run both POP3 and apache
> with no lag?  Or is that a stupid question?  I have QPOPPER, but I'd like
> to use Sun Internet Mail Server, assuming it's better (and I have the
> license).

I wouldnt recommend SIMS for anything smaller than a ISP-level
enterprise mail server.. for something small on a SS10, apache/qpopper/
sendmail (or postfix or qmail) is just fine.

(heck, the first ISP I worked for, ionet.net, ran user shell + email +
web pages + radius, etc, all off a single SS10 with a SM41 and 192mb
RAM... this was with about 1500 users, with about 70 of them using the
shell at any given time.. system response was GREAT...)

--
| Bill Bradford      |  www.sunhelp.org |