[Sunhelp] CPUs

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Sun Nov 28 02:21:25 CST 1999

On Sat, 27 Nov 1999, Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> ok, back for a question.  :)  Reading comp.sys.sun.hardware just the other
> day, somebody was talking about a 200MHz Hypersparc, running at a 4x MBUS
> clocl multiplier.  Was this in error?

Ross made up to 200MHz HyperSparcs (this is why I said 150+MHz).  The SM81
will even be faster than the 200MHz Hyper if the code does not do fp and
does a whole bunch of context switches (database style workloads can
induce this).

For most things, the 200MHz Hypers will be faster, and the price reflects
this.  SM81's are in the $300 neighborhood, 200MHz Hypers are closer to
$800 I would expect.  The ultra-fast Hypers are not worth it right now
unless you get a great deal.

-James