[Sunhelp] How to make a rescue disk that works for Solaris, or I killed Sol aris7 again

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Sun Nov 28 02:19:00 CST 1999

On Sat, 27 Nov 1999, Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> So, I screwed with the shell thing again in /etc/passwd.  I thought I had
> everything in there the right way, but it doesn't work anymore.  :(  Since I
> have the darndest time getting the hard drive to mount when I boot from the
> cdrom (it's really hard to navigate those device names, especially without
> cut-and-paste) I'd like to create a disk to make life a little easier.

Cut and paste works just fine off of a CD boot.  Just boot into the
install program (not single-user) and pop up a command window by
right-clicking on the background and selecting a Command Tool.  The
regular Copy and Paste keys work fine, or you can even bring up an xterm
if you prefer.

# mount /dev/dsk/c0t3d0s0 /a;vi /a/etc/passwd
(or t0, or whatever)

> Basically, I want to be able to boot to a shell, and have the hard drive
> mounted automagically on boot, so that I can go in and edit /etc/passwd (or
> whatever else I've broken) and fix it without 20 minutes of trying to mount
> the HD.  Of course, making an ISO would be just fine too, since I've got a
> couple of CD-RW drives at my disposal.  Anybody done this, or have a pointer
> on what exactly to read?  Thanks,

It's possible but a pain.  It's much easier to use the installation CD or
to base something off of it.

-James