[Sunhelp] 64-bit Solaris compiler

Bryan Fullerton bryanf at samurai.com
Tue Nov 23 15:06:41 CST 1999

On Tue, Nov 23, 1999 at 12:55:13PM -0800, James Lockwood <lockwood at ISI.EDU> wrote:

> Get the Workshop C compilers.  They generate tighter code than gcc, and
> they have production-quality 64-bit back ends (the Solaris kernel is
> compiled with them).

Hrm.  Now the real question - will I see noticable improvements if I do this?
I'm mostly running web stuff - Apache, java, php, some database stuff with
PostgreSQL - very little C code actually written here.

The reason I started looking into this is because lsof complained about
not having a 64-bit compiler, which isn't really enough motivation for me
to start buying software.  ;)

> The latest revs of gcc/egcs can compile 64-bit code on SPARC, but
> optimization is still poor and there are some nasty bugs (especially with
> floating point operations).  Do a Dejanews search if you want more
> details.

Will do, thanks,

Bryan

--