[Sunhelp] 64-bit Solaris compiler

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Tue Nov 23 14:55:13 CST 1999

On Tue, 23 Nov 1999, Bryan Fullerton wrote:

> So I just installed Solaris 7 on an E450, with the 64-bit stuff turned on.
>
> How do I compile 64-bit apps?  The gcc on sunfreeware.com is 32-bit, and I'm
> not even sure if gcc will do 64-bit executables.
>
> Any ideas?

Get the Workshop C compilers.  They generate tighter code than gcc, and
they have production-quality 64-bit back ends (the Solaris kernel is
compiled with them).

The latest revs of gcc/egcs can compile 64-bit code on SPARC, but
optimization is still poor and there are some nasty bugs (especially with
floating point operations).  Do a Dejanews search if you want more
details.

-James