[Sunhelp] SGML tools on Solaris7 or non-GNUified Solaris

Bryan Fullerton bryanf at samurai.com
Mon Nov 22 22:35:43 CST 1999

On Mon, Nov 22, 1999 at 07:12:40PM -0800, James Lockwood <lockwood at ISI.EDU> wrote:

> NFS is the lifeblood of most Unix networks.  Combined with client-side
> caching (like cachefs) it makes managing very large networks of
> workstations possible.

Aha - I was wondering about cachefs earlier today (when I was commenting it
out of inetd.conf on a new install ;).  I took a brief look at the man pages,
and though they were helpful in explaining individual commands, they didn't
actually tell me what exactly it is.  I imagine it's a caching filesystem,
but what's the idea behind it?  How do I make it go, and what pros/cons are
there with it?

I ask at least in part because I'm going to be setting up lots of NFS in the
next little while, moving a lot of data onto a central network disk for access
by a whack of client machines.

Bryan

--
Bryan Fullerton                http://www.samurai.com/