[Sunhelp] SGML tools on Solaris7 or non-GNUified Solaris

Bryan Fullerton bryanf at samurai.com
Mon Nov 22 11:31:19 CST 1999

On Mon, Nov 22, 1999 at 08:36:07AM -0700, Wes Hofmann <whofmann at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Really, the only advantage I've seen to Linux on
> a workstation is that if you only have a single processor, it is faster.  I
> believe this is due to the fact that SunOS is "overkill" for a single
> processor system with limited resources.

Hrm.  Solaris leaves a lot of crap enabled in the default install, which sucks
resources and can slow things down.  I'm sure they're useful for some people,
but a lot can be trimmed.  I have a Sparc5 at home that runs fine with 32mb of
RAM - I'm actually writing this email on it, ssh'ed in remoted from work.
However, I will admit that I won't be running X on this box until I get at
least 64Mb RAM.

Bryan

--
Bryan Fullerton                http://www.samurai.com/