[Sunhelp] SGML tools on Solaris7 or non-GNUified Solaris

Bryan Fullerton bryanf at samurai.com
Sun Nov 21 22:14:10 CST 1999

On Sun, Nov 21, 1999 at 06:24:23PM -0600, Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:

> Same here - one of the first things I do on a Solaris box is install all
> the GNU utils.  Face it, in order to get many things to work, you *have*
> to have the GNU versions of many utilities....

I've found that 95% of things will build fine with just gcc and libstdc++
added in.  Assuming you've installed everything needed in Solaris (include
files and bintools), and you've got your paths set (/usr/ccs/bin).  ;)

The only thing I can remember building that *required* gmake is postgresql.
There are some other utils that prefer gmake (like mutt), but they'll
generally build OK with the Solaris make as long as you stick to
non-experimental versions.

YMMV.

Bryan

--