[Sunhelp] New Harddrive for SPARCbook 3GX

Wes Hofmann whofmann at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 19 20:34:58 CST 1999

Hello all.

Today, I received my new Hitachi 10.05GB IDE harddrive for my SPARCbook 3GX.
I was fortunate enough to receive a 2GB disk with my SPARCbook when I
purchased it so it was a simple task to simply place the scsi->ide converter
card on my new drive and then plug it in to the system.  However, the
SPARCbook refuses to see it's actual size.  Here is the disk information:

size: 10.05GB
cylinders: 16383
heads: 16
sectors: 63

Now, from inside the Solaris install program, format sees the correct number
of cylinders, heads, and sectors, but says the drive is a 7.8 GB drive.  And
nothing I can do seems to change that.  Also, after I label the drive using
format, when I get to the disk layout section in the install program, it
insists that the drive (partition 3) is about 8.1 GB.  First, why won't the
machine see the correct size?  Secondly, why do the programs have this
discrepancy in the size they think the drive is?  format and the install
program never had a problem with the original 2GB IDE drive that came with
the sparcbook; at least, it always reported the right size.  Any information
would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Wes Hofmann