[Sunhelp] Slow TFTP with NCD 19R xterminal?

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Mon Nov 15 00:29:26 CST 1999

On Sun, 14 Nov 1999, Bill Bradford wrote:

> I finally solved this problem :
>
> turns out it was the switch i've got my network based on (an Accton
> SwitchHub-8s, EH-2002;
> http://www.accton.com/accton/products/switches/eh2002/limage.html).
>
> Looks like it has some interoperability problem with the NCD 19R xterminal;
> I replaced it with a NetGear EN104 4port 10baseT hub, and the NCD terminal
> now properly tftpboots its OS file in less than five seconds.
>
> Anybody wanna trade a Bay or Cisco or 3Com hub for a nice 8port ethernet
> switch that only has problems with NCD x-terminals?

If this is the same problem I think it is, it is shared with several other
10/100 switches (Netgear FS108 for sure).  Another piece of affected
hardware is the Sparc 4/5/10/20, the internal 10baseT transciever doesn't
link up in the PROM (making netbooting impossible) but works fine once the
OS loads.  The solution is to either use an hme card or an AUI breakout
cable with a transciever that is set to disable link detection.

Try hooking a port of the switch to the hub uplink port, and hook another
port of the hub to your xterminal.  If this fixes it then your problem is
link detection that is incompatible with many 10/100 autosensing switches.

Other than that I highly recommend the FS108, it's a great reasonably
priced switch.  Anyone have any recommendations on inexpensive 12-port and
up solutions?  Once my PCI 3c9xx 10/100 SPARC driver is finished I forsee
a lot of trunking in my future.

-James