[Sunhelp] SunHELP

Richard E Ravich rer40 at eng.amdahl.com
Wed Nov 3 23:31:03 CST 1999

Navin,

You have asked one of my pet peeve questions.  When I worked for
Micropolis and when I took calls, the most frequent question had to do
with this topic.

1.  First of all, part of the drive (I think 10%, but I may be wrong) is
kept for use by root, so you'll loose some capacity that way.  You can
regain that capacity back, by using the tunefs command.  See the manpage.

2.  When a drive manufacturer puts out a 9 GB drive, it contains about
9,000,000,000 bytes of capacity.  Under Unix and other O/S's that will
translate to approximately 8.5 GB because unix equates 1 gb to
1024*1024*1024 (sorry I don't have my calculator handy to do the math for
you).  So you see the difference.

Regards,

Richard E. Ravich			Amdahl Corporation
Sunnyvale, California			(408) 746-3245