[Sunhelp] How to make my machine a node on a network with dialup?

Peter Söderholm PSM at berifors.se
Fri May 28 06:05:08 CDT 1999

Hi everybody !

I'm not sure I exactly know what I'm talking about here so this question may
potentially be rather silly...

I have configured my Sparc to dial in to a remote host which is also a Sparc
running Solaris 7 (SS20 i think) using PPP.

Now I wonder how I can change my own computers ip address so that I could
telnet in both directions, that is from the remote host to my own computer,
or how could I find out what my IP address is? As I understand it my
computer should be a node with an ip address on the hosts network and I
should be able to communicate in both directions. Telnetting and ftping to
the remote host works fine and also from there to another machine if I run a
remote session via telnet.

I can also ftp to myself locally by using the address 127.0.0.1 which is in
the /etc/hosts however on the remote host telnetting to this address
connects to the remote host not to my machine, which seems logical if the
127.0.0.1 is reserved for the local machine.

If I could telnet from my remote host I could use it as a gateway perhaps
and connect from somewhere on the internet via the remote host (ISP) and
home to my computer if I had programmed it to connect via the modem (perhaps
at a certain time of day).

I'm really just experimenting trying to learn about these things, but there
seems to be many really cool possibilities. I have a bunch of things I'd
like to try in Java also  if I could only figure the above out. The network
support in Java seems excellent!
(the network is the computer right, with internet thats a pretty biiig
computer : -)

Grateful for any help!

Peter Soderholm