[Sunhelp] Sorry, a few Sun novice questions

David Watson david.watson at info-com.com
Fri May 28 05:55:12 CDT 1999

Assuming that you have the server license for Solaris, it should have come
with a CD-ROM containing Sun Disksuite. This is a software RAID
implmentation. You don`t need to do anything with the disks until after you
have installed Solaris, which seems a little counter intuitive to NT RAID
users!

Take a look this for more info:

http://docs.sun.com:80/ab2/@LegacyTocView?toc=SUNWab_68_1%3A%2Fsafedir%2Fspa
ce3%2Fpkgs%2Fcollections%2Fab1%2FSUNWabmd%2Ftoc%2FDISKSUITEADMIN%3ADISKSUITE
ADMIN;bt=Solstice+DiskSuite+4.0+Administration+Guide

I`ve used the following shell script as part of an automated disksuite
install under Jumpstart, if you want to just jump straight in. Apoligies to
any code purists: ;-)

#!/bin/sh
#
# Install and configure Solstice Disksuite
# WARNING - Only run this script if you understand it!
# WARNING - You will probably trash your disks...
#
# This configuration will create a two disk stripe for performance and
mount it on /projects
#
echo
echo "Installing Solstice Disksuite 4.0..."
echo
tar xvf /opt/src/core/disksuite.tar
pkgadd -d . all << EOF
EOF
echo
echo Adding Metadevice replicas
echo
PATH=$PATH:/usr/opt/SUNWmd/sbin ; export PATH
metadb -a -f /dev/dsk/c0t3d0s0
metadb -a -f /dev/dsk/c0t4d0s0
echo "d0 1 2 /dev/dsk/c0t3d0s0 /dev/dsk/c0t4d0s0 -i 16k" >>
/etc/opt/SUNWmd/md.tab
echo
echo Initialising Metadevice d0
echo
metainit d0
echo
echo Making new UFS file system and mounting disk on /projects
echo
newfs /dev/md/rdsk/d0 << EOF
EOF
echo "/dev/md/dsk/d0	/dev/md/rdsk/d0	/projects	ufs	3	yes	-" >> /etc/vfstab
mkdir /projects
mount /dev/md/dsk/d0 /projects/
cd /opt
rm -rf tmp