[Sunhelp] SPARCStation ELC doesn't boot...

Bill Bradford mrbill at frenzy.com
Tue May 25 17:10:24 CDT 1999

On Tue, May 25, 1999 at 02:52:47PM -0700, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> I've been lurking for a while to see if you guys were as smart I thought.
> :-)  You certainly seem to be, so maybe you can help me get my Sun
> workstations running.  I've got an ELC that doesn't seem to boot.  The
> monitor seems to be dead, which is fine with me if I can just get it to
> boot.  I've hooked up an AUI transceiver and hooked it up to our network.
> I've watched it boot for about 10 minutes, and the TX light never even
> blinks, so I can't contact it.  What's the best way to see if I can get any
> boot messages since the monitor doesn't light up, and it doesn't seem to be
> talking to the network?  Thanks,
> 	Greg

Hook up a terminal (via a null modem cable) to serial port A, 9600 baud
8N1, and boot the system WITHOUT the keyboard plugged in.  If nothing even
comes up on the terminal (which is where I/O should go if you dont have a
keybaord plugged in), you've most likely got a blown system board.

Bill

Bill Bradford * mrbill at frenzy.com * mrbill at sunhelp.com
   http://www.sunhelp.com / http://www.sunhelp.org