[Sunhelp] Ran out of remote ports "/dev/ptmx"

Brian D. Kohl bkohl at chemconnect.com
Thu May 20 16:39:05 CDT 1999

Hello all, I have a Sun Ultra 5 running SunOS 5.7 and I have quite a few
users logging into it via standard telnet and via Exceed.  Problem is, I've
run out of virtual ports it will allow, and so all new attempts to connect
remotely via port 23 fail with the error:

"   telnetd:  open /dev/ptmx: No such device    "

If I close out a current telnet session, the next one will connect fine,
but the one thereafter gives the same error.  So I have obviously hit some
predefined limit, but want to increase this limit (as much as I appreciate
the help to not overload the system resources).  The number of port 23
sessions is about 48.

Anyone know what to do or what file controls the number of telnet port 23
remote connects allowed?

TIA

Brian

Brian D. Kohl