[Sunhelp] an old SparcStation and a 56k modem...

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Mon Aug 16 16:18:49 CDT 1999

On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, Jonathan Eisch wrote:

> Bill Bradford wrote:
>

> > I think it can handle 56k if you do the proper flow control.  It wasnt
> > till the Ultra that Sun finally put out a decent serial port. 8-(
>
> I get that I could use one, but I was wondering if it would just act like a 28.8?

This depends on the data that you're transmitting.  If it's mostly text or
other highly compressible data then you're probably maxxing out the
38400bps connection between machine and modem already.  If it's
precompressed data or images, then you'll likely see an improvement (but
only in downloading as 56k modems upload at a slower rate).

Also: some Ultras don't have fast serial ports, some do.  The Ultra 1 and
2, for instance, still have the Z8530 serial ports used in sun4c's and
sun4m's.

-James