[SPARCbook] maximizing my SPARCbook 3GX

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Tue Feb 8 16:35:44 CST 2011

On Sun, 6 Feb 2011, Justin Haynes wrote:

> List -
>
> I am running OpenBSD 4.8 STABLE on my SPARCbook 3GX with 1.2 GB hard drive
> and 64 (32x2) MB ram, and I'm interested in expanding it as much as
> possible.  I've always liked the look and feel of these machines, and would
> like to use it more often.
>
> I'm interested in getting the 2GB Tadpole drive so that I can replace the
> insides with a larger IDE drive.  Currently I'm using NFS quite a bit. :-)
> I'm hoping someone on the list may either be willing to part with one or
> know of a place that still sells them.  I've not found them sold any place
> I've checked from the various FAQs out there or from any of my searching.
>
> I'm hoping I can put in an SSD like this one:
> http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-32GB-SSD-2-5-Inch/dp/B000T9QRKE .  I'm not
> sure how these SCSI to IDE converters will behave though.  If they can only
> handle a certain a capacity, will they only see the first 16GB for
> instance?  I'm hoping the decreased power consumption might allow the
> battery to last a bit longer when the unit isn't plugged in.  Also, I expect
> the fast wide SCSI-II to max out at 20MB/sec.  20MB/sec would be a *vast
> improvement*

I've got a this IDE->SCSI adaptor in my Sparcbook:

http://online.century.co.jp/BittradeTest/e_shop/chb25int.html

and I've had up to an 80 gig HD hooked up to it, and yes, the OS can
see and use the full 80 gigs.  I don't think the interface is fast-wide
SCSI, just Fast, so, 10MB/s at best.

> Also, I understand this hardware can take 128MB of RAM, but I keep reading
> unconfirmed reports of it being able to handle 256.  I apologize if this is
> already in the archives - I didn't find it.  I've already ordered the extra
> 64 I need to bring it to 128.

The system only has two slots in it, and they can only take short SIMMs,
the sticks that allowed it to go to 128M were double-thick units.  I
really doubt you'll be able to get better than that and still fit the
battery in there.

> I was pleased to have Miod's help on the sparc at openbsd list where he told me
> how to edit the driver file for the Weitek 9100 to support 32bpp.  I
> recompiled the kernel and now X looks beautiful on the 3GX.
>
> I'd like to have USB, but there don't seem to be any 16-bit usb interfaces
> for Type I,II or III cards.  My Netgear MA401RA works very well as a wifi
> device.

Yup, I don't think anyone ever made PCMCIA USB cards, just PC-CARD
(32bit) ones.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org