[SPARCbook] (no subject)

Paul Douglas paul at douglasfamily.au.com
Thu Jun 10 10:12:31 CDT 2004

Hi again

thanks for the information, but I'm still at a bit of a loss...

> It's probably an issue with the 13W3 to SVGA converter you are using. Check
> Pages 2-5, 2-6, and Appendix D from the following pdf.

I already had, but had another look and still don't see anything that I hadn't
already done.  I've used not only a Sun monitor with a 13W3 plug but also a
newer one from an Ultra 5 setup that uses a VGA plug and, via the adaptor, it
works fine.

> The monitor you are using can not support the frequency range that
> the ultrabook is using. Try another monitor, normally the larger ones
> work great.

This might very well be right, though I don't know which particular frequency
measure is causing the problem.  The handbook says it will drive an external
monitor at vesa standard timings.  I'm trying 1024x768x60 (in fact, I've tried
various others too) which looks as if it should be ok for both the lcd and a
monitor supporting this resolution - which the one I've been experimenting does.
 The monitor handbook also gives a figure for horizontal frequency but there's
nothing in the ultrabook manual to compare this with.  I see the figures in the
Sun monitor manual are rather higher - is this the problem?

As I said, I want to connect it to a computer projector, the sort that normally
plugs into the vga socket on a standard laptop; I don't actually care whether it
will drive an actual PC monitor or not.

Any further suggestions also welcome!

Thanks - Paul