[SPARCbook] Sparcbook 3GX problem

d neal wise nwise at spy.net
Sun Jan 18 21:00:57 CST 2004

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004, Vasisht Reddy Tadigotla wrote:

> sorry about the confusion, it's not running 4.1.2, but is running SunOS
> release 5.6. I get a reasonably readable screen if press PAUSE A to get to
> the OBP. How do I change the display configuration ? The display scrambles
> on the least hard disk activity.

I don't recall offhand. This will be in an openboot FAQ somewhere.

> Booting into single user mode is asking for a root password to go into
> single user mode.

Right. That's because it's Solaris 2.6 (sunos 5.6) instead of SunOS 4.1.2.

> I don't have a CDROM drive with the sparcbook and I don't have access to
> other SPARC systems. Is it possible to boot off a NetBSD floppy and mount
> the partitions ?

possibly. It will all depend on if NetBSD supports the floppy controller
(i'm pretty sure it does... i've floppy booted sparc's [classic, ss5s,
etc] using the net/openbsd floppies but not my sparcbook)

You other option is netbooting. Search around on NetBSD's website for the
"diskless" manpage or HOWTO. Actually here's the HOWTO:
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/

regards,

neal
d neal wise - nwise at spy.net
SPY internetworking  -  will network for food
http://www.spy.net