[SPARCbook] Sparcbook 3GX problem

Vasisht Reddy Tadigotla vasisht at eden.rutgers.edu
Sun Jan 18 20:37:10 CST 2004

> CDE? Is it CDE or OpenWindows? CDE wasn't available for SunOS 4.1.2 AFAIK
> your display problem may be solveable by setting display configuration in
> openboot. Of course if you can't see it to do this... once you reset the
> root password you may be able to do this using some of the nvram
> manipulation utilities in SunOS.

sorry about the confusion, it's not running 4.1.2, but is running SunOS
release 5.6. I get a reasonably readable screen if press PAUSE A to get to
the OBP. How do I change the display configuration ? The display scrambles
on the least hard disk activity.

> boot disk -s
>
> should pass -s as a boot argument and do a single user boot. I *think*
> that sunos won't prompt for the root password when singleuser booting.

Booting into single user mode is asking for a root password to go into
single user mode.

> Otherwise you should boot from cdrom.
>
> boot cdrom -s
>
> Don't have a SunOS 4.1.2 CDROM? A NetBSD or OpenBSD bootable cdrom should
> allow you to mount an FFS partition so you can modify /etc/passwd and
> remove root's password.

I don't have a CDROM drive with the sparcbook and I don't have access to
other SPARC systems. Is it possible to boot off a NetBSD floppy and mount
the partitions ?

Thanks,

Vasisht