[SPARCbook] Ultrabook obp upgrade fails

stephen price sd_price at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 29 19:10:30 CDT 2004

Tried that.  No difference.

Here's exactly what I've done.

1) with power off - set switch to write enable.
2) power on
3) stop-a & set-defaults
4) boot (solaris 2.6 on a single 6gb disk)
5) login as root at command line - didn't load the
framebuffer
6) cd /usr/Flash
7) 1st time - ran install_pcimem
8) copied 318 file to obp-post.bin
9) ran flash-update
It says on-screen
Copied 805552 bytes prom image into memory.
Updating UltraSPARC 1 UPA/PCI PROM
System Name: UltraSPARC 1 UPA/PCI
Magic:  OBMD
OBP Version 3.1.8  1999/08/24  14:32
Post Version: 2.3.0  1997/09/16  16:12

and drops back to the prompt.
10) shutdown -g0 -i5 -y
11) with power off - set switch back to write protect
12) power on - and obp still at 3.1.5
13) stop-a & .version shows
Release 3.1.5 Version 5 created 1998/07/14  18:02
OBP 3.1.5  1998/07/14  18:02
POST 2.3.0  1997/09/16  16:12

I've tried it a couple of times without the pcimem
driver (manually removed it) - I've tried with the
pcimem driver.  No error messages at all ever.

So I'm at a standstill - any other suggestions
appreciated.

I'm starting to think that the flash binary is o/s
specific or the bin file is corrupt from the web site.

There was a note about not using a couple of other
flash utilties - but this one is the one that was in
tha tarball - so I'm not sure what's wrong.

Guess i'll call Tadpole Monday & see if they are
inclined to check the tarball or offer any other
hints.  Nice folks evey time I've ever called them,
but I can't afford to buy anything from them.

regards
steve