[SPARCbook] Which BSD, and will anyone ever do the pcmcia bridge?

ML ml at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Tue Mar 4 01:48:43 CST 2003

Koyote wrote:

> SO, I'm torn between open and netbsd (I'm ignoring linux all together
> since it doesn't seem to have pcmcia bridge support and it's generally
> worse to run form a comfort standpoint than Sol 2.6)

Yep, I gave up Linux some years ago because I didn't want one more UN*X
and NetBSD ( at this time ) ran on all my machines. Now I have (besides
NetBSD), Solaris, AIX, A/UX, and BeOS (both x86 and ppc), all of them in
good use, with good excuses for not running NetBSD.

> This is hard to discuss on the *bsd lists due to religion, but:

Oh, I think I'm going to hurt some religious feelings really soon now
(sorry guys, but...)

> I need functional support of the power subsystem (heat and suspend)
> The best graphics support I can get
> and some *hope* of eventual sound support and (would someone accept a
> BRIBE to finish this?) PCMCIA support so I can finally just pop a
> wavelan card in there.
> (yes, the wi driver for solaris 2.6 would be fine- even better, since
> I'd have full hardware support)
>
> so, any opinions?

Stick with Solaris. If you have 64MB or more it will run happily. It does
what you want and it does it *now*. You will get almost any software you
may wish, sometimes with a little hassle but Solaris 2.6 is still pretty
up to date in most points. And it supports all your hardware ( not too
sure about wavelan, the driver may ba picky which cards it likes )

have fun
Michael