[SPARCbook] Re: Sparcbook digest, Vol 1 #661 - 3 msgs

Miles Nordin carton at Ivy.NET
Sun Oct 13 13:09:04 CDT 2002

    super-user> Some people claim to hate the pointing eraser mouse,
    super-user> but then just look around and see which laptops have
    super-user> an external mouse plugged in all the time.

uhm, the corporate-owned 20-lb models with *floppy drives* but no
built-in Ethernet?  The ones that constantly need to be plugged into
AC power even though they have fancy 10-pound batteries with
backlit-LCD charge display?  The ones running Powerpoint?  The people
with cuff-links and $100 haircuts typing with hunt-and-peck?  The ones
that always make the stupid windoze startup sound because their owners
don't know how to use sleep or hibernate?  The ones that come in their
own dedicated mug-me-please manufacturer-labeled cases, with OS
install CDs, ZIP drives, surge suppressors, and 100-ft phone cord
extenders hidden in ``pockets''?

The capacitive pad has nothing to do with the external-mouse-dork
phenomenon.  And I'll take the Quake challenge with your gerbil dick
any day.

``I've owned a Thinkpad 340, 360, 560, 600, and 760.  Touchpads
suck.''  y-eah.

``I've owned a Powerbook 540, 1400, 3400, wallstreet, and pismo.
Gerbil dicks suck.''  y-eah.

But a touch_screen_ is definitely the best.  You can flick it.
Nothing can beat that speed, as long as it doesn't get flakey around
press-unpress events, make you use a special pen instead if
finger(nails), or ruin the panel's anti-glare.  I haven't had or seen
one that that doesn't suck in some of those ways yet, but soon I think
it will be the preferred non-gaming interface, at least among people
who know how to type and don't use floppy drives.

    super-user> It also more conveniently located near your fingers
    super-user> restposition if you touchtype with all your fingers.

you're using the touchpad with your FINGERS?
``A thumb is not a finger.''
        -- Dr. Hibbert

honestly I use my fingers too, but for the limited focus-follows-mouse
stuff that you can realistically do on a gerbil dick without breaking
cadence, you can use the side of your thumb for similar effect.

Also, it's critical to learn the touchpad's user interface.  I guess
most people already know this, but the interface usually isn't
intuitive---you have to read something to learn it, and maybe also
``enable'' some things that the programmers thought would confuse
people who don't read the touchpad's manual.  They usually have
drag-lock feechurs, and sometimes also horizontal-axis-squelch lock
for using vertical scrollbars.  The touchpad software makes a big
difference.  It's not a drop-in replacement for other pointing
devices, nor should it be.  IMHO, the standard mouse is quite awful.

--
The spanning tree computed in a region appears as a subtree in the CST
that encompasses the entire switched domain.  The CIST is formed as a