[SPARCbook] Re: Sparcbook digest, Vol 1 #661 - 3 msgs

Super-User helsod at algonet.se
Wed Oct 9 18:21:32 CDT 2002

Mark Bell wrote:

> Personally, I have no problems with the keyboards. I also use an IBM Thinkpad
> A31p, which I think has a great keyboard on it. If the A31p is a 10, then the
> Ultrabooks are 8's.

IBM thinkpads always did have good keyboards, with one notable
exception, the 760 modell (yuck:-(.
The Sparcbook keyboard would also be a 10 I think in comparison to most
of the TPs I've owned.
(340, 360, 560, and 600, excluding the 760, all had excellent keyboards)
However the feel of
the keyboard is different, but whether it should be 9 or 11 is perhaps a
matter of taste.

> I only wish the portables had the pointing device versus
> the touchpad. I am still not a huge fan of it.

I tend to agree. That was another thing I really like about the
Sparcbook.
Some people claim to hate the pointing eraser mouse, but then just look
around
and see which laptops have an external mouse plugged in all the time.

It seems also that the touchpad takes up a lot of extra room on the
laptop. The eraser is
much cheaper on space. It also more conveniently located near your
fingers restposition if
you touchtype with all your fingers.

Since you owned 3 Ultrabooks it would seem that you like them pretty
much.
(Not that there are so many competing sparc laptops out there if one
wants an alternative).

Peter