[SPARCbook] Solaris 9 on a 3gx ?

Mike Parson mparson at bl.org
Fri Nov 29 19:03:35 CST 2002

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 02:30:50PM -0800, Koyote wrote:
> Yes- solaris 9 will run on a 3gx. BUT- the graphics drivers don't
> exist for the weitek fb.

> so no graphics. BUt I did notice that solaris 9 seems to perform
> fairly well on the 3gx (mine has 128meg ram)

> Solaris 9 DOES support sun4m (4d got EOL'd after 8, but I think
> that was all for that change.) (Yes, people will talk about other
> sun4 archs that are no longer supported, but those happened with
> 7 and 8, previous to 9. I'm being specific)

> There's no reason at all not to run solaris 9 if the fb driver can
> be made to work- unfortunately, that seems to be beyond my skills.
> 2.6 isn't "just as good" for many reasons.

Well...

I've not tried this on my sparcbook, but I have tried this with
my Ross Hyperstation.

I've got a Fujitsu AG10-E 24 bit framebuffer, no drivers for anything
newer than 2.6, but with instructions I found on the net, I installed
Sol 7, then installed the 2.6 drivers for the framebuffer, and it
works!

http://www.hyperstation.de/AG10-E_HowTo/ag10-e_howto.html

Similar steps might work for getting the fb up in Sol 9?

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org