[SPARCbook] No luck on X configuration

Michael Schwarz mschwarz at multitool.net
Sun Nov 17 19:11:33 CST 2002

On Sunday 17 November 2002 06:25 pm, Michael Schwarz wrote:
> On Sunday 17 November 2002 04:03 pm, troehr at nj-onramp.com wrote:
> > Michael,
> >
> > First of all, did the boot screen come up the same as before? If it
> > recognized the framebuffer, you should see Tux in the upper lefthand
> > corner while booting. Also, it will be a black background with white
> > text.
> >
> > These are the first clues that the framebuffer driver is working.
> >
> > Tom
>
> No tux.  Is there a parameter I need to pass to the kernel at startup to
> enable the framebuffer?

Let me elaborate a bit, just to be clear.  I downloaded the file
linux-2.3.5-sparcbook.tar.gz from nj-onramp.com.  I untarred it as root from
the root directory.  I created a link from /boot/vmlinux-2.3.5.gz to
/vmlinux_fb and my slio.conf file now looks like this:

partition=1
root=/dev/sda1
timeout=100

image=1/vmlinuz
label=linux
read-only

image=1/vmlinux_fb
label=fb
read-only

When I boot using "fb," uname -a reports:

Linux host010 2.3.5 #100 Tue Sep 7 09:30:45 EDT 1999 sparc unknown

However, I do not see tux in the corner, no do I have a black background with
white text.  It seems the framebuffer is not being used/detected/setup for
some reason.  While I've read about framebuffer support before today, I've
never had to worry about it until now, so I can't say I'm all that familiar
with it.  I also haven't got the slightest idea what a Sparcbook3 uses for
video hardware in any case!  Let me know if I can provide any more
information that would help you to help me!

Thanks so much for all the help so far as well.

Oh, one detail:  I do indeed have framebuffer devices in /dev.  Here's the ls
-l on them:

host010:/dev# ls -la fb*
crw--w----    1 root     video     29,   0 Mar 14  2002 fb0
crw--w----    1 root     video     29,   1 Mar 14  2002 fb0autodetect