[SPARCbook] Re: SparkBook Woes

Super-User helsod at algonet.se
Fri Nov 8 13:29:18 CST 2002

Chris Powell wrote:

> I didn't think stock Sun Solaris 7 contained Tadpole drivers for video
> and PCMCIA slots (perhaps other things too). Solaris 2.6 definitely
> does not - an installation from the Sun Solaris 2.6 CD subsequently
> requires the Tadpole drivers. Without the drivers, video is restricted
> to console only (no X).

The Soalaris 2.6 5/98 distribution has some driver for x on Sparcbook.
It was only
8 bit I think but it can be nice to have the graphics when installing,
especially
if you need to use the console to format your drive etc.

Then you add the patches from the Tadpole ftp site to get better color
depth, pcmcia etc.
The FAQ tells you how to do it.

I think I tried generic Solaris 7 but it didnt work as I recall. I think
I tried 8 also
and that didn't work either (you'll never know until you try). They do
work
of course, but without gfx. If you dont want x then you can run them,
but they would
perhaps be slower than 2.6

Have fun
Peter