[SPARCbook] Re: Start-from-scratch full procedure for PCMCIA ethernet card?

Rich Kulawiec rsk at magpage.com
Thu Jul 18 11:55:40 CDT 2002

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 09:09:29AM +0100, Chris Powell wrote:
> SPARC Solaris will only recognise certain PCMCIA Ethernet cards - check
> out the pcelx manual page. I've had success with a 3com 3c589B card,
> but failed with another 3com card (I think that was a 3c589 - without
> the B suffix). Check /var/adm/messages for the kernel recognising the
> card correctly, then start toying with plumbing the interface.

I'm pretty sure that I have a supported card: but I *can't* plumb
the interface because I don't have the entries in /dev or /devices
to support it. (*Why* I don't have them is another issue: I certainly
never deleted them, but OTOH this is a used machine, so perhaps someone
else did...or perhaps they never existed.)

That's why I need a "start-from-scratch" procedure. ;-)

---Rsk