[SPARCbook] Wireless networking

stephen price sd_price at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 26 19:57:34 CST 2002

I've never had any luck with pcmcia so far, but I
found an interesting gadget the other day.  It's a
D-Link DWL-810 2.4GHz ethernet to wireless bridge
(according to the box).

What intrigued me was that it stated on the box that
it was "OS/Platform" independent - No Driver -
Required!!

So I bought one.  Short story - plug a cross-over
cable between it and your ethernet jack.  Bingo -
instant wireless connectivity. Of course you must
already have an access point etc.

I went ahead and hooked it up to a PC later and
changed all the passwords, security settings etc.

Not exactly cheap, but it works, and I've tried it so
far on a Mac, my RDI Turbo 170 laptop, a pc laptop,
and a Win95 desktop - all worked without any host
device modification!  Just plugged the cross-over
cable into the ether jack and logged onto the local
home 'net.

Again - not a cheap solution - but it fulfilled a
short term need in my environment....

Happy New Year ya'll....
http://mailplus.yahoo.com