[SPARCbook] RE: RDI backlight dimming - possible OBP setting

scott.archer at vaisala.com scott.archer at vaisala.com
Fri Dec 13 19:37:14 CST 2002

[From Gunnar on 12 Dec 2002]
Thanks for answer, Peter!

The problem is on  both Ultrabook I and Ultrabook II machine.
It started with the Ultrabook II. We moved the disk to an Ultrabook I.
I have tested a lot with this Ultrabook I (has its original disk) and some
times the backlight has been OK when turning power on.
Then I should update the OBP on this machine and did all as explained in the

README files. All seemed to be OK until reboot. Now the machine is not
booting, and the display is gone. (I have done this update on another
Ultrabook I without problems).

Seems that the OBP har got wrong image.
How can I fix this?

Regards
Gunnar

[Scott Archer on 13 Dec 2002]
Hi Gunnar -
There may be a OBP video resolution parameter problem here.
I'm looking at appendix C, RDI hardware user guide, titled
"external monitor matrix".
The table on page C1 lists the OBP commands and display resolutions
that will display on both the laptop and extrnal monitor, or only
on the external monitor, which then turns off the laptop display.

Unfortunately, the listed OBP commands don't indicate if they can
saved to NVRAM or only work until the next boot. If an OBP command
was saved in NVRAM for an external monitor-only display, then a reboot
would block the laptop display.

The table does state that simultaneous laptop and external monitor
displays will work at VESA standard 1024x768 at 60Hz mode and timing
with the following steps:
1. re-boot.
2. interrupt the boot with the key sequence "stop" - "A" to display
the OBP "OK" prompt.
3. enter the string "monitor-on": you'll be prompted for the command
either "go" or "boot".
4. press the "enter" key when prompted.

I've not tried this, so please advise any positive or negative results.
Best of luck
[Scott Archer]