[SPARCbook] Backlight.

Super-User helsod at algonet.se
Mon Dec 9 16:55:39 CST 2002

gunnar.dammen at kongsberg.com wrote:

> The backlight on one of our Ultrabooks disappeared. The system was up and
> ok, so we moved the disk to another
>
> Ultrabook. Then the backlight disappeared on that too. Now we have two
> laptops without screen backlight.
>

> Any suggestions what has happened?
>

> Gunnar

Its not immedietly obvious what have happened but it seems a little odd
that both backlights
should give up at the same time. They could of course both be broken.

I assume from your description that graphics is visible on the screen
but the backligt is not on so
the picture is dark. Also the picture is showing ok on an external
monitor ?

The least beneign reason I can think of is that your drives os somehow
managed to mess up some
power savmng / screensaver etc function so that the problem appeared
again on the other machine.
Is it possible it could be a gfx driver isssue?
I guess this is more whishful thinking since a hardware problem seems
more likely.
You could also have some problem with the drive that somehow affects the
backligt, but that is perhaps
even more farfetched (drawing excessive current maybe).

You could try and remove the drive and boot from an external SCSI cd
drive and a Solaris installation cd.
If the problem goes away its likely a sw problem (and your in luck). If
your unlucky the problem persists
and is likely in hw.

Also make sure you dont use the same ac adapter when testing the two
machines.

Are these Ultrabook I or Ultrabook II machines btw?

Peter