[SPARCbook] weitek framebuffer and solaris 9

Federico Lucifredi flucifredi at acm.org
Wed Dec 4 03:18:03 CST 2002

Wait a second...
    Wouldn't it be possible to install solaris 9.0, forgeting about KDE and
x, and then install the gnome option on top of Xfree86 ? Is this totally off
the wall or has it any chanche to succeed ?

-does xfree86 have a waitek framebuffer driver?  (if not, it is probably
easier -- cheaper ? -- to find the docs to write a driver for xf86 4.0 than
for solaris)

-does the gnome option of solaris 9 ride on top of a commercial xserver or
on top of xfree ? any chanche that the solaris software for X would work on
Xfree ?

    input please... now that I have got a replacement HD for the sparcbook,
the power button has decided to break, so I have some more time to ponder
"what if" kind of questions....

-Federico