[SPARCbook] PCWLAN interface??

Thomas Roehr troehr at nj-onramp.com
Fri Aug 9 09:07:55 CDT 2002

Michael Schiller wrote:

>So I'll ask again, has anyone else gotten this far with a wavelan card?
>in other words, does this look as promising as I think it does?

As Ian explains below, it's been done before. The issue is that it is
the OLD WaveLan card, which is not compatable with the current 802.11b
2.4Ghz cards and hubs.

You can set up a private network if you can find one of the base units
that you can set up as a hub to a regular lan.

Tom

Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 17:48:13 +0100 (BST)
From: Ian Spray iws at tadpole.co.uk
Subject: [SPARCbook] Wireless 802.11 on Sparcbook? Yes, it can be don

On 07-Jun-00 Sunder wrote:

 > Now the real question is, which Wavelan card?

We've used a Digital RoamAbout (should be WaveLan compatible - it works
with those drivers) which says DEIWB-BA Rev. A on the back, and says on the
box:

 Digital RoamAbout DS/PC Card, Compatible with the RoamAbout DS/ISA NIC for
 desktop devices (uses 915MHz or 2.4GHz)

I've not seen any of the true ATT WaveLAN cards here, so I don't know what
models are available.  As I understand things at the moment, the 11Mb data
rate cards (802.11 compatible) are not currently supported.

--
Ian Spray          :  Software Engineer     :  Tadpole-RDI
iws at tadpole.co.uk  :  +44 (0) 1223 428 224  :  http://www.tadpole.com/