[SPARCbook] PCWLAN interface??

Michael Schiller schiller at agrijag.com
Thu Aug 8 16:39:34 CDT 2002

Hi All.

Before the list gets shut down, I have a quick question...

I know that there have been messages before regarding wavelan use on the
sparcbook, so I thought I'd ask a question. A while ago I picked up what
I thought was a wavelan card, and it is sort of, it's a WaveLAN/EAM
which is apparently an external antenna module for a WavePOINT-II access
point. I didn't know if this is actually a wavelan card or not, but
today I decided to try putting it in my sparcbook, and see what happens.
I must admit I was expecting to see the LCD show that a card was
installed, and little else, but was I surprised. After putting it in the
system recognized it, not only as a pcmcia card, but as a wavelan card!
in the /dev dir was /dev/pcwlan and /dev/pcwlan0 links, and using
ifconfig pcwlan0 plumb I was able to get the interface plumbed into the
system. I don't have an antenna for this yet, so I couldn't get much
further, but my real question is this:

Has anyone else gotten this far with wavelan stuff, and had it not work
further, or did I just luck out, and get the correct version of the
wavelan card to work with the sparcbook drivers? There's an ISP in town
that does wireless internet, and one of their 2 towers is less than a
mile from my house, so I should be able to reach it once I get an
antenna, but I don't want to waste the money if it's not going to work.
Thanks.

--
-Mike