[SPARCbook] Re: Tadpole 3gx tweaking (John Kiniston)

David Hansen sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Thu May 10 14:43:25 CDT 2001

On Thu, 10 May 2001 sparcbook-request at sunhelp.org wrote:
> Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 16:14:04 -0700
> To: sparcbook at sunhelp.org
> From: John Kiniston <fixit at azstarnet.com>
> Subject: [SPARCbook] Tadpole 3gx tweaking
>
> I've changed a lot of the Sxx scripts in /etc/rcX.d from S to K in the
> hopes to improve memory leaving the system kind of confused,
  ?

> I get a bunch of inetd problems:
>
> 	rstatd/rpc/ticlts rpcb_set: not started
> 	walld/rpc/ticlts	rpcb_set: not started
> 	100221~
> 	10068~

 The first thing you should _not_ do is change "S"tart scripts into "K"ill
scripts. If you want to prevent a run control script from starting (and
don't want to delete it) then just rename it with a lower-case version of
it's original starting letter. (i.e.- S71rpc becomes s71rpc, ___not___
K71rpc) What you just did is to tell the system to run any termination
entries in the appropriate script for whatever services it affects. Since
you disabled starting these services then you will, of course, get
complaints that the service isn't running/started when the scripts
try to follow your orders to terminate said services.
 Also, take Hugo's advice and curb unnecessary items out of other places
such as /etc/inetd.conf

> I'm hoping to stop whatever is causing these messages to spew to the
> console, I disabled S71rpc which is what I think these are looking for but
> not what they are starting from.

 Nope, you replaced one script function (the Start function) with another
(the Kill function).

> Any suggestions would be welcome.

 If you're going to be playing with the administration side of the machine
then you may want to read tutorials/faqs/how-to's found on many websites
(sunhelp.org, *.sun.com, etc...). Especially the FAQ's. A lot of time has
gone into these and too few people give them the attention they deserve.

-david