[SPARCbook] 12G drive, but only 8G seen

gonufer sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Sun Jul 1 14:00:04 CDT 2001

Michael S. Schiller wrote:

> I have an IDE<->SCSI adapter on my sparcbook, with a 20gig drive installed.
> I can't seem to get it to recognize more than around 4 gigs of the HD. So I
> have 2 questions, 1. How do I find out what version of the adapter I have,
> and is it upgradeable?

It's replaceable, not upgradable. Where did you get it?  If it was from
one of the smaller Tadpole drives and you upgraded the drive yourself
then it's probably one of the older ones.  The "good" converters weren't
available until very late 1999.

> 2. assuming I got an older rev, these should be able
> to see at least 8 gigs, anyone know what entry I should use in format to get
> 8 gigs out of the drive? It's a Fujitsu drive.

If it had the same problem SunOS had with large IDE disks then, instead
of seeing 8GB, you end up seeing the size modulo 8GB.  20 mod 8 is 4 and
that's what you're getting.  Maybe it's just a coincidence...  I was
able to use 8GB of the 10GB IBM drive I bought (before getting a new
convertor) and I don't recall having to force it.

-greg