[SPARCbook] Some SB-1 info...

Emanuelsson Paer sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Tue Dec 4 09:59:32 CST 2001

Concerning the following mails...

> From: Mike Nicewonger <twmaster at twmaster.com>
> Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 19:18:07 -0500
> Subject: [SPARCbook] What is the model number of the sparcbook 1 hard
disk?

> I recently got a sparcbook 1 and need to know wether this takes IDE or
SCSI
> 2.5" format hard disks. Does anybody have the model number of any of the
OEM
> drive?

The SB-1 came with one or two Quantum Go-Drives, 120 MByte.  They're IDE.
For what it's worth, I've heard reports of replacing them with a
1G-something
drive and have it work, but I haven't been successful so far.  I've tried
with a number of drives but the SB-1 hangs as soon as it tries to detect
the HD.  I'm not sure what it doesn't like about the disks.  I can't get to
the partition menu in the monitor.

> From: Ian Spray <iws at tadpole.co.uk>
> Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 08:14:05 +0000
> Subject: Re: [SPARCbook] What is the model number of the sparcbook 1 hard
disk?

> The SB1's are indeed IDE.  40MB I think, and possibly from the days when
> PC BIOS's wanted to know the drive number, and type 47 (I think) units
> were a long way off...

No, 120 MB.  Or 2x120 MB if you sacrifized the floppy.

> > Is there a pointer to a parts and other specifications page for this
> > nice machine??
>
> I have some specs up, but they are fairly poor for these older units:
>
>  http://www.tadpole.co.uk/~iws/

SunOS on the SB-1 also supports a parallel to SCSI adapter from Trantor,
so it was possible to hang a Tape drive or CD-ROM on it, if you could
stand the performance!

Btw, Ian, if you would happen to stumble upon any SB-1 stuff I would be
greatly interested, like the source code for the boot prom, etc...

Regards, Pell